30.5.10

LOST

TITLE: LOST
TAMBUCHO TALE #: 24
DESTINATION: EASTWOOD CITY
TRT: 10 MINS

It was my first day of work. I was expected to show up in Eastwood by 8AM. Of all places!

In spite of this helpful guide, I'm still your typical promdi who confused Megamall Building B with Building A. What's with the affinity with that FX terminal? That's where I used to line up when I was decided it's finally time to repose in my old apartment in Oranbo, Pasig.

Since I never saw any Santolan-bound FX and no fellow commuter can identify to what I was looking for, I decided to hail a cab. Besides, my second degree friend-turned-colleague Noah was already in Eastwood, cursing herself for being in the vicinity as early as 06:30AM. You could say she was very thrilled to end her 4-month bumhood. Before stepping in, I prayed the fare won't reach P100.

The R&E cabbie greeted me with a pleasant smile, asking for my destination. As usual, I forwarded the plate number to the next person I'd meet for security reasons. He repeated if we're heading to Eastwood, narrating how one passenger from Makati confirmed she's headed to Eastwood but, upon reaching Libis, she clarified she needed to be in KINGSWOOD. Mind you, she was very sober, awake and responsive to his small talk. Does she have 20-20 vision? I wouldn't know.

Manong went on. He had another passenger from Caloocan, asking to be driven to Quirino. When they made it to Malate, he said he's referring to Quirino in Parañaque! Manong said there are 4 Quirinos: Malate, Parañaque, Novaliches and somewhere else. What's the first Quirino that comes to mind?

The best story would have to this certain mother who left her 6-year-old slumbering kid in the cab. The driver didn't leave the mall area until this passenger returns to claim what she lost. However, instead of thank yous, the driver earned an earful.

Manong was introducing an OFW passenger who assumed he knew the airport terminals very well. After losing on the debate about the best route to take, the passenger gave him a P1,000 tip on top of his bill. He was that grateful he made it for his flight. By that time, I could hardly concentrate anymore. The bill was almost P70 and I was already trying to review cheap options for lunch. I only had P300 in my pocket for that day!

Luckily, the vehicle eventually came into a halt. I paid him exactly P75 and thanked him for his amusing stories. Too bad I can't give him any tip.

***

I found an equally amusing tale about a certain selfless cab driver. Jamir Ocampo posted on Facebook:





Kitang-kita namin ni Manong taxi driver kung paano binunggo ng pulang Corolla ang Pajero sa bandang Krus na Ligas, ang masama kumaripas palayo ang Corolla para matakasan ang areglo, palibhasa babae ang driver ng nabunggong Pajero.

“Teka lang haharangin ko lang tong gagong to,” ang sabi ni Manong. Hindi alintana kung sinuman ang driver ng pulang Corolla, nakipagkarerahan si Manong (takot ko lang dahil overspeeding na kami) hanggang tuluyan na nyang naharang sa Katipunan ang pulang Corolla.

Nang maabutan ng Pajero ang bumunggo sa kanya, iniwan na namin sila mag-areglo. "Pangalawang beses ko nang nagawa to," humahagikgik na sambit ni Manong.

Ang ganda ng hapon. Saya maging Pinoy.

Photo and text by Jamir Ocampo.

1 Comments:

At 5:55 PM , Anonymous Fristine said...

I love stories like this mare. Cabbies normally have stories we don't really have the stomachs to hear. :)

Although I'd like to add something on the little excerpt: "...palibhasa babae ang driver ng nabunggong Pajero." - not ALL women drivers are like that. It's sexist and plain wrong. Please forward it to Mr. Ocampo. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home