12.1.11

SHUT UP

TITLE: SHUT UP
TMABUCHO TALE #: 33
DESTINATION: BATANGAS ST., MAKATI
TRT: 20 MINUTES

It was Saturday morning. I logged out from last night's training in the faraway land of Eastwood at 5AM then met up with Shiela for a birthday breakfast date in Ayala Ave in Makati. Next in line? Gown fitting for Ina's vintage FilipiƱana wedding. Then last-minute bazaar visit for kaftan-hunting in preparation for our team building in Boracay. Then dinner date with Fristine in Wabi-Sabi to claim my wedding invitation, among others. Yes, I'm one busy woman with loads of energy. Or so I thought!

When I bade farewell to Shiela that morning, I felt quite worn out already. Just my luck, caffeine fix was not enough. Coupled with this urge to invalidate Ina's conviction that I was consistently tardy, I hailed a cab to be transported immediately to Nono Palmos's shop even before she arrives. I wanted to be the one to open the door for her and surprise her.

However, the cosmos had other plans. In spite of the heavy traffic that should had kept my pulse racing in suspense, I felt being lulled to sleep. I jokingly told the cabbie, "Kuya, pakigising na lang ako kapag andun na tayo," then proceeded to play dead.

To my horror, he reacted: "Ma'am, 'wag po kayong matulog! Lalo kayong tataba!"

Tang inang hindot, diba?!

Beats me why he didn't come to his senses after my apparent disapproval of his quip. For some strange reason, he even felt licensed to press for more answers. His follow-up questions were: "Ilan na po anak niyo, Ma'am? Ah wala pa? May asawa na po kayo?"

By then, I was a portrait of silent wrath. Still, he paid no attention.

When the cab came into a halt, I did not bother to give him any tip and slammed the car door while he was halfway in his last attempt to establish rapport.

I was already awake.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home